Various applications for zoning, subdivisions and building permits are available below. Please note that the forms must be printed out and completed by hand. If the form/information you need is not provided on this web site, please call the Zoning Office at 610-346-6700 Extension 10 or 12

Zoning Permits

In accordance to Springfield Township Zoning Ordinance, a Zoning Permit is required prior to the erection, construction, reconstruction, extension, moving, razing, or alteration of any building, structure, or portion thereof, and prior to the use or change in use of a building or land and prior to the change or extension of a nonconforming use.  A “structure” is defined as: a combination of materials assembled, constructed or erected at a fixed location, the use of which requires location on the ground or attachment to something having location on the ground. Zoning Permit Application is required for projects including, but not limited to; fences, signs, patios and a change in use such as a home occupation.

All zoning permit applications should be accompanied by a detailed plot plan.

If you need a plot plan for your project, please go to:  The site will open an interactive map of Bucks County. You can then print out the map of your property lines to use for submission for a Zoning Permit. Please be sure all the property line and setback measurements are completed.

For a project that has over 1000 sq ft of earth disturbance you must apply for a Erosion and Sedimentation Control Plan with the Bucks County Conservation District.

Building Permits

Generally, a Building Permit is required for any residential new construction, addition, or alteration. Any building over 1000 sq ft requires stamped building plans.  A Building permit is also required for any and all Non-residential construction, alteration or change of use. Building Permit Application must be accompanied by 3 sets of detailed construction drawings and 1 digital copy. All non-residential construction plans are required (by Commonwealth Law) to be prepared by a licensed designer (Architect and Professional Engineer.)

Stormwater Management

Stormwater PermittingThere are two big questions to answer about stormwater planning.When am I required to do it?If I am required to do it, what do I have to do?

When am I required to do it? When you add new impervious cover to your lot (buildings and additions, driveway extensions (including gravel), sidewalks, swimming pool decks, porches, patios and any other improvement that water can’t pass through). Every lot created before August 2002 (the date of the Township’s first stormwater ordinance) is allocated a cumulative total of 1000 square feet of “unregulated activity.” That means you only need a zoning permit and you don’t need a stormwater permit. This is a cumulative total, so if the lot added 400 square feet in 2005, 500 square feet in 2010 and you want to add another 600 square feet today, you’re over the threshold of unregulated activity and you’ll need a stormwater permit.

A lot may also be eligible for peak flow exemption based on lot size. For instance a lot of 2 to 5 acres gets a 5000 square foot exemption from peak flow. However, if the lot is in the Cooks Creek Watershed, it is not exempt from water quality requirements, and you’ll have to get a stormwater permit to manage water quality. If you’re not in the Cooks Creek Watershed, you’re just exempt and your zoning permit will deduct the amount of impervious in your application from the total exemption.

What am I required to do? It depends on how big your project is. If you’re adding less than 2500 square of impervious (again cumulative) AND you’re disturbing less than 5000 square feet of ground, you can use what’s called the “simplified method.” This method does not require you to hire an engineer, but it does require you to do some basic math. Appendix C of Chapter 152 (Stormwater) in the Township Code gives detailed instructions. The fee for this method is $400. The Township Engineer will review and approve your permit, and then inspect the site twice. The first inspection is when the hole is dug and the geotextile fabric is laid. The second is when the stone is in. The Township Engineer will give approval to cover at that time.If your project is bigger than that—or if you just want to have someone do it for you—hire a professional engineer to submit a stormwater management plan. The fee is $100 and you’re required to put down $750 escrow. The Township Engineer will review and approve the plan. You’ll have to post escrow for the cost of construction. You’ll also have to have an Operations & Maintenance Agreement developed by the Township Solicitor recorded on your deed.

For detailed information, Chapter 152 of the Springfield Township Code of Ordinances is here.

Please click below to view the Stormwater process chart to determine if stormwater management is needed and if the simplified stormwater method or stormwater management plan application must be used.

Springfield Township Stormwater Process

Click on the following to view the applications, procedures & ordinance (w/updates to the ordinance):Stormwater Management Plan Application

Stormwater Simplified Method Application and Procedure

Stormwater Process



Subdivision & Land Development Plan Submission Day is the second Wednesday of each month by noon. New submissions submitted will be reviewed for completeness, and if complete, will be placed on the Planning Commission agenda (first Wednesday of month at 7 pm) the second month after they are accepted. This provides an opportunity for each Planning Commission member to review the project, and if requested, receive a copy of our engineer’s review of the project. (Please go to Planning Commission page for additional information on submissions.)

View Township Code of Ordinances Chapter 154

All other ordinances for Zoning & Subdivision and Land Development adopted after these are located here: Downloads. Click on the Subdivision and Land Development Ordinance or Zoning Ordinance categories to view these ordinances.


New Construction Permit Submission Process

The following items must be submitted, review and approved by the Township before any Zoning and Building Permits are issued and construction can start.

Apply with Township

Zoning Permit Application
(with 2 sets site/plot plan and 1 digital copy)
Building Permit Application
(with 3 sets of plans and 1 digital copy)
Stormwater Management Application or  
Simplified Method Application
(3 sets of plans and 1 digital copy)
Monitoring and Maintenance Agreement / Escrow (prepared by Township Solicitor for
Stormwater Management Plan)
Road Opening Permit (Township Road only)
Water Connection (Springtown Residents Only)
Springtown Water Authority –
Apply with the County or State 

(all approved copies must be submitted to the Township)

Well  Permit Application:
Bucks County Health Department
On-Lot Sewage Application:
Bucks County Health Department
Erosion & Sedimentation Control or NPDES PERMITS 
Bucks County Conservation District215-345-7577
Highway Occupancy Permits (State Roads Only)